By David Solomon
The Cypress Fairbanks Independent School District (CFISD) in Houston, Texas is one of the most innovative districts in the nation. Following a bond package passed in 2014, CFISD will have Lightspeed systems in all 91 of their campuses by the end of 2018. The new technology has been a proven success for both teachers and students in an open classroom setting.
I recently traveled to Houston to see the benefits of Lightspeed systems in Cy-Fair classrooms for myself. These are the five biggest benefits users there have discovered. Teachers can now:
- Monitor group conversations without changing the group dynamic;
- Deliver direct instruction at the right time to each group through real-time insights they gain by quietly listening to group work;
- Encourage students and groups to share with the whole class through a pod that acts as a microphone;
- Effectively instruct the whole class through a low-volume, highly intelligible, wide dispersion speaker—ensuring that all students can hear every word, reducing redirection and off-task time; and
- Refer fewer students for behavioral issues.
David Solomon is President and CEO of Lightspeed, A Learning Company.